About food and nutrition

Because they are the same thing, aren't they?



Well, almost.

Let me start by saying that I am an expert Psychologist, but not an expert nutritionist. Ok, just a graduated Psychologist with a ton of experience in dealing with human nature (did that make any sense?).

So, what should you do to improve your athletic performance?
Yes, athletic. You are not practicing a sport, right? You are practicing a Martial Art, right?
Right, but your body still needs to be treated like an athletic machine: feed it right and it will improve, feed it wrong and it will degrade.

Now, some common sense:
-Fried foods, fats, salt, sugar, bread, candy, coke, alcohol, snacks and so on will make you fat and will provide few nutrients..
-Fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, water, eggs, milk and so on will provide more nutrients, more energy and will help you loose weight and live longer.

But we all knew that, right?

There is no need for nutrition advices, we all know the truth.

We will not talk about supplements today because those are... supplements, not meant to substitute a good meal.

What do I eat?
Ok, I try to have 2 eggs for breakfast and some milk.
I try to eat as much meat as possible for lunch, with some rice or noodles or whatever.
Usually I have whatever my wife cooks for dinner, and that usually includes vegetables and fish or meat.

But the thing is that I eat what I feel like eating.
I eat a lot of pizza, burgers and other rubbish food, but occasionally. Some weeks every day, yes, but it's not a habit.
If I am in the mood for KFC, I just go there and enjoy myself. Why not?
I just don't go for all my meals (supersize me anyone?).

Chinese apple with Pinan/Heian written on it

Now, as a Psychologist I can assure you that happiness and well being are key to a good performance, so you should definitively cheat on your diet from time to time. 
Eat what makes you happy, but be consequent with it.



A consideration now for those who are trying to gain muscle mass: yes, you need to eat way more that usual. Eat more meat and eggs and supplement yourself with protein powder, creatine and with whatever you need.
You know what to do.

And if you want to loose weight?
Then your caloric intake should be lower that your caloric needs.
But how to balance loosing weight with keeping a good performance in Martial Arts? Well, ask your doctor. Every case is different and I don't want to mislead anyone.


Smoking is not food but will also kill you in many ways, and if you die your performance will be really poor, I guess.


And to finish this boring post, I want to show off the Shanghainese cuisine:







Quick trip to Japan for lunch anyone?






Her treat. We are celebrating her promotion to Hanshi.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A rainbow of choices

Saifa bunkai

My Karate style